Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Lion, Tigers, and Propagation Oh My!

I have to admit that I am not cheap, however, I can’t afford to buy expensive things or waste money on them. 

With that being said, I am constantly looking for ways to improve my garden/yard with what I already have. 

Why would I go buy a plant that I could easily divide the ones I already have?  The benefit:  I can usually get two or more new plants from the one that was divided.
Another option would be to collect and plant the seeds from these plants.  That would increase the potential for future plants.

Here’s the catch.  Usually after dividing a plant, the new plants might not flower the following year or may die if the re-planting were not done properly.  Anther downside is that the time to achieve a mature plant will be extended.  This usually only takes a year or two, and the alternative to buying costly plants seems to be a no-brainer. 

If division isn’t possible, another option could be to take clippings.  Any time that I have a plant that I have to trim, (Such as a certain rose bush that continuously pulls on my clothes every time I walk past it,) I will take the clippings inside and try to root them. 

Whether or not this is the correct method for that particular plant, I don’t know, but I am at least going to try.  If it works, great!  If not, it was going in the compost pile anyway.  Now, you could increase your chances by doing a little research before hand on the proper method for that particular plant.  You could also buy some root hormone, which is a good idea if you are going to be putting the cutting directly in soil.  You could do what I do, and stick the cutting in some warm water in a clear jar in a sunny window. 

Of all the times that I have done this, most of them usually take.  After letting the roots grow in the jar and changing the water about every week, the plant is then usually ready to be put in a pot or in the yard.

Try these different methods to see what works for you, but the more methods you try, the better your chances for success will be.

2 comments:

  1. Adam, I have Daylilies and Canna Lilies you can have. They will start peeking through the ground at the first signs of warm weather. I planted 15o daylilies and about 30 canna lilies when we first moved here and they have taken over and need to be divided. As for the pampas grass, that stuff will eat you alive. Bobby burned ours last year and they can back beautiful (wish I would have never planted them, if you wanted to dig those bad boys up you can have them).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just let me know, and I will be there with my shovel. Thank you so much. I also have a ton of daylilies, but some variety mixed in would be great. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete